Sooo you saw on Wednesday we finally have fire in the Brice house but it took awhile together. In this post I will take you back to our first major project on the house, it was with the fireplace. This picture is a bad shoot of before.
Sorry about the mess, we were currently painting and this was before I really ever took any before and after photos. So you also can’t see why had to make a change to our fireplace. The problem was the fireplace had a hearth that stuck out three feet into our living room. We needed all the floor space we could get to enhance the living space. So James used his manly skills to rip out the old hearth and build a new fireplace. Before I go into that here is another bad before shot:
That was my last effort to show you a before of how it jutted out into the room taking up valuable space. This photo was actually used on a craigslist Ad to sell the coffee table-ohh how my photography is so so! Onto the rest of the story. Again I don’t have any pictures of the actual removal of the old and in with the new fireplace this was before I took before and after photos but here is a quick run down of the process. And one more pause: before I launch into it I am a very visual person so I rather use pictures than words to explain myself or learn about things but I will do my best to explain in detail in case in of you awesome readers out there are thinking of doing the same thing to your house. Okay here I go. . .
So where the hearth jutted out three feet, he use a sledge-hammer to break up the tile on top of the hearth. Underneath we found the framing that stuck out into the room it was 2x4s and plywood, it was all a foundation for the tile, he used a saw to cut it all back until it was flush against the wall. After that we had a big open spot in the pergo flooring-luckly the owner left behind extra pieces so we were able to add those in.
Next he used 2x4s and hardy backer to build out the frame around the fireplace. Afterwards he added the title followed by grout and lastly sealed it. We made sure we had extra tile just in case we dropped a piece or made a bad cut.
Lastly he spray painted it which was a really bad idea! James had to actually stop and run to depot to purchase paint to brush on instead. What happen was it kinda sprayed backed and got all over the rug and surround areas so SPRAY PAINTING THE INSIDE OF YOUR FIREPLACE IS A MESSY AND BAD IDEA. As you can see it was looking kinda rough from all the previous fires so regular heat-resistant paint was the way to go. So that is how our fireplace sat for two years until we finally found that fireplace screen and here it is today, well almost everyday we like to burn alot of fires.
And in case you are wondering we use dureflame logs instead of real wood. We chose these because they burn cleaner and they still give off plenty of heat.